top of page

Quilling

Publik·8 anggota
Ethan Gonzalez
Ethan Gonzalez

George Punk - Tonight [CRACKED]

The punk project had support also from the Arts and Humanities Research Council, as part of a 12-month post-doctoral position working on DIY Cultures and Participatory Arts (2017), within my Connected Communities Leadership Fellowship role. Dr Lucy Wright, Senior Research Associate, undertook an initial literature review for the book, about the scope and state of the art of punk studies today, and we also organised a Punk in the Provinces symposium at Norwich Arts Centre, which sold out.

George Punk - Tonight

"From the very beginning, punk's visual art was deliberately simple, DIY, anybody could make it if you had a demented enough mind," says Jello Biafra. "All it took was scissors or a razor blade and some glue."

So I ask Propagandhi to be on the second comp with all the lyrics intact and with the George Soros comment and everything. NO CENSORSHIP. Chris politely said no thanks. He said that the band has had cold feet about the comp from the beginning, that their politics don't mesh with ours, and that he doesn't want to be shuffled on to the 2nd comp. I was bummed, but I felt that our message of getting Bush out was more important than Propagandhi's anti-Soros message. There are no hard feelings between the band and I. Not only do I think they are the most important band in punk rock, but I feel that they are amazing people, and I am incredibly proud to put out their records.

One of the most notorious bands to emerge from the punk underground during the early 1980s, Haynes and the Butthole Surfers blazed a singular subversive path across the nation during the decade with their unhinged live performances while putting out a string of noisy, highly psychedelic albums. Haynes first met principle collaborator Paul Leary when both were attending Trinity University in San Antonio during the late '70s. While they bonded over a common interest in unconventional music, they wouldn't make music themselves until they both left their studies and careers behind -- Haynes was working for a prominent accounting firm as Leary pursued an MBA -- and started a band in 1981.

The band's warped take on punk rock featuring Haynes' screamed vocals and Leary's feedback-drenched guitar was documented on their self-titled 1983 EP that also featured their trademark disturbing album art and nonsensical song titles. The group's membership would continue to evolve, but by the following year they had shifted to a two-drummer line-up featuring King Coffey and Teresa Nervosa who both appeared on the concert recording Live PCPPEP.

Haynes and his young backing band are being joined on this West Coast tour by co-headlining Bay Area punk veterans Victims Family. With a partnership dating back nearly four decades, guitarist/vocalist Ralph Spight and bassist Larry Boothroyd have been making a uniquely hectic jazz-punk noise as the core of Victims Family since forming the band in 1984 when they were just a couple of scrawny Santa Rosa teenagers.

Bringing together the lyrical venom of the Dead Kennedys and the eclectic punk virtuosity of The Minutemen and NoMeansNo, Victims Family created a ferocious stew of hardcore, jazz, metal, funk and math rock with original drummer Devon VrMeer. Embracing the DIY punk ethos of the time, the young trio booked its first national tour in 1985, honing its chops while sharing the stage with such bands as NOFX, Tales of Terror, the aforementioned DKs and Social Unrest.

The band issued its debut album Voltage and Violets on Mordam Records the following year, unleashing Spight's vitriolic social commentary on salvos like "Homophobia" and "God, Jerry, & The P.M.R.C." in addition to writing likely the only instrumental tribute to jazz guitarist George Benson ever performed by a punk band. Victims' follow-up effort Things I Hate To Admit further refined the group's sound with more ear-pleasing, barbed wire hooks on such future fan favorites as "World War IX" and "Corona Belly."

VrMeer's departure to start a family led to his short-term replacement by Eric Strand before roadie Tim Solyan stepped in and completed what many consider to be the band's classic line-up. Victims Family crafted what still stands as one of the outstanding punk albums of the decade with 1990's White Bread Blues while furthering their reputation as a blistering live act with multiple U.S. and European tours, sharing the stage with the likes of Nirvana and Primus while having future stars Mr. Bungle and Green Day serve as opening acts.

Despite the challenges presented by the drummer's busy schedule as an in-demand drum tech, semi-regular Victims Family reunions that bring Solyan back into the fold often find fans traveling long distances to catch another brutal live set. In recent years, the trio embarked on a brief string of West Coast dates with Portland, OR-based powerhouse punk band Nasalrod in addition to a 35th anniversary gig and an appearance at AT's two-day Tentacle Fest in Berkeley in 2019.

The band served as the opening act for an epic experimental punk triple bill last year at the Great American Music Hall with Oxbow and NYC provocateur Lydia Lunch and her explosive new band Retrovirus as well as headlining an SF concert last May. Victims recently reteamed with Nasalrod for trio of shows in Sacramento, Petaluma and San Francisco. For this sold-out date at Thee Stork Club on Tuesday, the teens from the Paul Green Rock Academy will do double duty, kicking off the show with a set of punk rock standards.

Plug into your community weeknights at 6 to hear from grassroots activists, community builders, punk rock farmers and DIY creatives. Does that sound like you or somebody you know? Tell us all about it in an email, radioactive@krcl.org. To listen to past shows, click here. Coming up this week:

Last time Fred Armisen was on The Tonight Show, he teased something new he was doing in his act, which was impersonating guitar strumming styles from around the world. Last night, Armisen returned to the show and put a spin on it by impersonating the strumming styles of punk and alternative music from 1970 until 2000. And as usual, he pretty much nails it!

The Twitter page for the Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang's podcast Las Culturistas engaged in the conversation as well, after the latter performed an impression of Santos on the Jan. 21 episode of Saturday Night Live, with the account quote-tweeting Santos' initial message about Lovitz by calling him a "punk ass bitch."

A man crowd surfs during the Rock Against Bush concert on April 9, 2004, in Bakersfield, Calif. The concert was part of a nationwide tour of bands sponsored by Punkvoter.com aimed at getting people who listen to punk music to vote against George W. Bush in the presidential election.

The counter at Going Underground Records in Bakersfield features classic punk posters. The DIY store that anchors a fading downtown has taken its punk ethos and expanded to Little Tokyo in downtown LA.

The Los Angeles punk rock band X, left to right, Billy Zoom, Exene Cervenka and John Doe perform a 1979 concert in Reseda, Calif. Though the band never had a "Top 40" mainstream hit, it did develop a rabid cult following, influencing numerous other bands of the time.

Carlson laughed. "You God damn punk," he said. You tried to throw a scare into Slim, an' you couldn't make it stick. Slim throwed a scare inta you. You're yella as a frog belly. I don't care if you're the best welter in the country. You come for me, an' I'll kick your God damn head off."

Front man and funny man, George Pettit of Alexisonfire was phoning into radio stations across Canada earlier today (tonight in Canada), playing the 1st single "Young Cardinals" off the bands new album "Old Crows / Young Cardinals". For those of you who want to have an orgasm, the new single has been posted on youtube and you can check it out here

Tom Verlaine, founding member, singer, and guitarist of legendary punk rock band Television, passed away at 73 "following a brief illness." The news was confirmed by Jesse Paris Smith, daughter of fellow punk rock icon and Verlaine's one-time ex Patti Smith. No further details were given on Verlaine's passing at the time but it didn't take long for waves of punk legends to pay tribute.

Patti Smith herself posted a tribute to Verlaine on her Instagram, a black and white photo of the pair with a caption referencing their time together "This is a time when all seemed possible." 80s punk star Billy Idol also paid tribute to the work Tom Verlaine and Television did laying the groundwork for punk rock's future. "He made incredible music that greatly influenced the US & UK punk rock scene in the '70's RIP."

Verlaine, born Thomas Miller in New Jersey first undertook piano and saxophone before shifting his focus to guitar. He moved to New York in the early 70s adopting the name Tom Verlaine and forming a band called Neon Boys that would go on to become Television. The band became highly influential in the punk rock scene for their performances at CBGB and went on to release two massively acclaimed and highly influential albums in their initial fun, starting with their timeless debut Marquee Moon. 041b061a72

Tentang

Hi fan quilling, yuk share hasil kreatifitas kalian di group...

Anggota

bottom of page